Installing cork flooring
Inatall cork flooring - IMPORTANT READ BEFORE INSTALLING
Understanding floating floors – Rules to know by heart!
***Floating floors are not to be installed in bathrooms***
A floating floor is a floor that is not anchored to the subfloor – nor anchored underneath kitchen cabinets. It is a floor that requires expansion and contraction. It requires expansion gaps be ADHERED TO without fail – or your floor will surely fail!
Failure to follow these guidelines will void your warranty.
Rules to a Forna Floating floor:
Consult a professional prior to any Do-it-Yourself project
Subfloor must be clean, dry, flat and sound and of a “hard surface”
- 1. The allowable difference in floor height is an industry standard:
A. 3mm height difference over a length of 3 feet
B. If the floor has more than this, it MUST BE REPAIRED
- 2. Floating floors MUST HAVE EXPANSION GAPS of nothing less than ½ inch (the thickness of the floor is the MINIMUM expansion gap required)
- 3. Floor expanses measuring MORE THAN 25 FEET in length:
A. Expansion gap MUST BE INCORPORATED to reduce continuous floor lengths of LESS THAN 25 LINEAR FEET!
B . If your floor is only slightly more than 25 feet in length (eg. 32 feet in length), then a “cheater” expansion gap can be “added” to the expansion gap at the wall = 1 inch of expansion at both ends of the floor (both ends of the floor must have 1 inch of expansion left at the wall) – this requires extra trim on the walls
C. Expansion gaps, OR TRANSITIONS, must be used through doorways.
Rules for Forna Floating flooring in a kitchen:
Consult a professional prior to starting any DIY kitchen remodeling
- A floating floor CAN NOT run underneath cabinetry
- Cork floating floors MUST BE the last thing to be installed in a kitchen
- Incorporate the height of your floor INTO the total height of counter tops
A. Under-counter dishwashers require a height clearance – make sure you have accounted for the height of the cork floor and underlay before installing cabinets/counter tops
- Paint the walls, lay the counter top, install the backsplash BEFORE laying
- Measure and trim “toe kicks” prior to installing flooring
- Apply 2 coats of water based polyurethane once the floor has been installed!
How to Order
- Ordering Free Sample
- Ordering by Email
- Order Online
- Pick-up Locations
Showroom and Warehouse Address:
Cancork Floor INC
#185-1991 Savage Rd.
Richmond BC, V6V 0A4
- Measurements and Maintenance